Today is the first Food Day, a grassroots event organized by the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI). Senator Tom Harkin (IA) and Congresswoman Rosa DeLauro (CT), both long-term supporters of healthy eating and the federal government’s nutrition programs, are Honorary Co-Chairs of the event.
Food Day is founded on six basic principles:
- Reduce diet-related disease by promoting safe, healthy foods
- Support sustainable farms and limit subsidies to big agribusiness
- Expand access to food and alleviate hunger
- Protect the environment and animals by reforming factory farms
- Promote health by curbing junk-food marketing to kids
- Support fair conditions for food and farm workers
Because Food Day is based on grassroots organizing, there are Food Day events being held all over the country today (find some in your area). Whether you attend a restaurant serving up a special Food Day menu, play a Food Day game or simply cook a special meal for your family at home, everyone can participate in Food Day. It is an excellent opportunity to reflect on the important role that healthy, wholesome, affordable food plays in the lives of each one of us. Happy Food Day!